14.5.10

Portuguese Proverbs – Erika Grumbianina

Portuguese Proverbs – Erika Grumbianina
1. “Dois olhos vêem mais do que um só
Translation: Two eyes see better than only one
Meaning:
Two people may be able to solve a problem that an individual cannot.
„Eye“ here means „mind“, as opposed to heart or spirit. The notion of two being better than one, although not specifically.
Equivalent in Lithuanian:
Dvi galvos, geriau nei viena.
Translation: Two hads are better than one.
2. "Diz-me com quem andas dir-te-ei quem és."
Translation: "Tell me who you gather with and I'll tell you who you are."
Meaning: This proverb suggests that like minds stick together. If I know who your friends are, I know what your character is. A man is known by the company he keeps.
Equivalent in Lithuanian: Pasakyk man kas tavo draugai, ir aš pasakysiu kas tu esi.
Translation: Tell me who are your friends and I’ll tell you who you are.
3. "Falai no mau que ele sempre aparece."
Translation: Speak of the Evil and he'll always pop up.
Equivalence: Speak of the devil and he's sure to appear.
Meaning:
when somebody that we have just been speaking about suddenly appears you say "Talk of the devil!" it means often - You can't be a good person!
Equivalent in Lithuanian: Vilką mini, vilkas čia.
Translation: Speak of wolf, and wolf appears.
"Ao Diabo e à mulher nunca falta que fazer."
Translation: The Devil and women have always something to do.
Meaning: Usually the Devil have to do something wrong, damaging. Women is compared to devil, she has always to do same things.
No equivalent in Lithuanian J
I was really surprised that there are so many similar proverbs in Portuguese, English, French and Lithuanian. But I found also a lot of proverbs which I didnt hear before, Portuguese language is very rich of different kind of proverbs.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário